Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nice People Rock

So the day wasn't going so well. My first mistake was trying to take a grumpy 3 year old to the grocery store. He cried through most of the shopping trip because he was collecting the coupons that come zooming out of those little coupon holder thingys in the aisles and when he threw them all on the ground (on purpose), I didn't stop to pick them all up for him and give them back. He thought that was pretty much the end of the world.

Then when I went to put the groceries in the back of the suburban, I forgot that my dear husband had packed four tons of Goodwill Donations back there. (We cleaned out the playroom...hooray for that) So that when I opened the hatch, everything came crashing down, with bags bursting open. I had to chase down little run away toys and random things rolling around the parking lot. Very frustrating.

Then, on the way home, Little Guy was yip yip yapping to me about something or other and he wasn't happy. He likes to argue with me about everything when we are driving. It makes me crazy. I think I've blogged about this recently. He asks a question and then argues with me about the answer. Or he bosses me about how to drive and what to do and where to go and how fast. We were in the middle of one of those "conversations" when we were taking an exit that curves around and then comes to a stop light.

There was a car in front of me and the light had just turned green. I turned around to respond to Little Guy for a split second. In that time the car in front of me, rather than turning right at the green light, decided to stop and I ended up ramming into her back end. It wasn't hard, just a little more than a tap, but it was enough to really freak Little Guy out. I rolled down my window as the lady was getting out of her car. I called to her as she was walking up to my vehicle and told her I was so sorry (I know attorneys tell you not to ever admit fault, but it was obviously my fault and I felt bad.) She came up and took my hand in hers and looked me in the eye and told me it was just fine and to have a nice day. Then she got back in her car and drove away.

And after that, I did have a nice day. Don't nice people rock?

9 comments:

  1. Yay nice people!

    Wow, you guys cleaned the play room toys? You're on a roll. Way to go! Next up: your closet? j/k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest story! Maybe that was an angel sent to give you hope. I'm glad your day got better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That almost made me cry! Nice people really do rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW on so many levels!

    Maybe she wanted her car to be beat up. Maybe she was inspired by the Spirit that this ramming was done by a bishop's wife who was trying her hardest to do her best. Whatever it was that's amazing!

    And...I made a Goodwill run Monday. It was very liberating.

    Oh and my fix when Bennett would argue with me. I just agree....to everything. "Uh huh. Yes. Right" Aren't I a good mom? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing... these kind of stories need to make the news. Sending hugs through here... I feel for you with the driving whoas of hauling a three year old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that story. I'm glad there are nice people like that out there. I think I need to try and be more like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are SOOOO lucky!! What a wonderful woman. Sounds like you needed her.
    And the whole Little Guy arguing with you and telling you how to drive... I'll send you some earplugs! :) They're heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing.
    It seems the more I deliberately live out my days as a reflection of the Lord, the more people like this wonderful woman cross my path.
    I believe more often than not, our actions speak so much louder than our words. And ya wanna know the REAL cool thing? I can guarantee you that woman was even more blessed by doing that for you than you were receiving it. How amazing is that?! God is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so nice people do rock! However, I'm more interested to know that your kid argues with you about everything too. Carter is also a horrible back seat driver and freaks completely out if he doesn't know where we are and how to get where we are going. He's constantly telling me where to turn, etc. Driving me craaazzzyyy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete