Sunday, August 16, 2009

Our Little Starfish

I'm sure you've heard the parable of the starfish.

One morning a man was walking on a nearly deserted beach. He came upon a woman surrounded by thousands and thousands of starfish. As eagerly as she could, the woman was picking them up and throwing them back into the ocean.
Puzzled, the older man looked at the woman and asked, "What are you doing?"
She responded without looking up, "I'm trying to save these starfish."
The old man chuckled and said "There are thousands of starfish here. What difference can you make?"
Holding a starfish in her hand, the woman turned to him and, gently tossing the starfish into the water said, 
 "I made a difference to that one!"
Little Guy's permanency hearing was Thursday.  The judge ruled in favor of reunification with his biological father.  They picked him up on Friday morning to take him down to California.  We are devastated.  He was with us for 2 1/2 years and we love him like our own.  We were hoping for a different outcome, but we have faith that this is the Lord's plan.  We can only pray that he is in the Lord's hands and that we somehow were able to make a difference.

10 comments:

  1. Susan you all have been in my thoughts & prayers all weekend. He is your starfish.
    I still struggle sometimes wondering how this all works into the divine plan... but then I just have to hold on to my faith and remember that these little people are his children.
    Is there any plan in place for you to have some contact with him in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan you sound so strong. It can't be easy. I was hoping this wasn't the plan. But I am glad you have made peace with it. Just know...that you did make a difference with that Little Boy and hopefully his real dad will learn how to be a better parent for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still don't know what to say. We'll miss Little Guy, and we're praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sweetheart---you DID make a difference. Only at some future time will we all understand, but Heavenly Father trusted you to make a difference in Little Guy's life, and YOU DID. Dad and I are so proud of you. We love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine the pain you are feeling right now. My prayers are with you and your little guy.

    You commented on my blog asking about my crispy almond chicken recipe--so I posted it on Ree's Tasty Kitchen site! You could search it under my user name (mommavolcano) or the name (Crispy Almond Chicken).

    And, hey, I'm Mormon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely made a difference in that little one's life. As he made a difference in yours. Seeds have been planted. The Lord is aware. I don't know the right things to say, but do send a hug your way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our hearts just ache for you and your family. We love you all so much! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am shocked with that outcome. This same thing happened to a friend of mine and their little girl. She went home with bio parents after she was out of their home for 2 years after 1 month of being reunified with bio parents she was brought back into the system. Now my friend was able to adopt her and her little sister, there is nothing bio parents can do they were given their chance and now they are in a better place.
    I wish the best for you and your family and hope everything works out in the end, hang in there. You are a wonderful mom and did all you could. Lots of hugs coming your way!

    ReplyDelete