Thursday, September 3, 2009

It Only Hurts When I Breathe

I went running yesterday morning on this lovely bike path by the river.  It was a cathartic experience.  I was listening to my ipod when a song by Shania Twain came on.  I wasn't expecting the emotional response that came with it.  She talks about someone who is no longer in her life and starts the song with "Hope life's been good to you since you've been gone."  She had me right there.  I started crying.  Then she goes on and says "I'm over the worst and I feel so alive...I can't complain...I'm free again..."  Then comes the ironic part.  "And it only hurts when I'm breathing....my heart only breaks when it's beating..."
Here I was running down the path with tears streaming down my face.  I passed several people who acknowleged me and I tried to offer a hello and a smile, but I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy.
I've never experienced anything quite like this pain before.  I've lost both of my grandpa's, which was hard.  But they were both older and it was almost a relief when they passed on because they were moving on to a better place.
With Christian (I'm using his real name, I'm such a rebel) it's like he died but he didn't go to a better place.  He went to live with an ex-felon who has a history of domestic violence, alcohol/drug abuse, has *EVIL* tatood onto his hand, and likes to brag about the size of his ______.   He won't allow Christian to have any contact with us whatsoever.  He took him to live in California and that's that.
It's been so hard to deal with.  I've grieved a lot, and just when I think I'm all cried out, something will trigger a huge emotional response.  I worry so much about how he's doing and what he's feeling, and whether he thinks we've just abandoned him. 
If you're the praying type, would you please offer up a prayer for him today?

9 comments:

  1. My heart hurts for both of you. I cannot imagine how hard this must be. I will definitely ask Heavenly Father to watch over Christian and to help comfort you. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will offer a prayer for Christian!

    I wish I could hug you right now. I know it won't make it all better but I would like to do it all the same. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It probably doesn't help you to know that I still cry each time I pray for Christian---I'm crying now---just when I thought I was "getting over it"! "Someday, everything will be alright" It has been said that "the only way out is through" Going "through" is a tutorial. A whole lot of people are learning. Love and Hugs, MOM
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE You and you are all in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will pray for him and for you, too. I cannot imagine the pain. Surely the Father Who is aware of each sparrow is aware of that precious little boy. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The prayers are definately happening...
    I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to experience this pain.
    Thinking of you ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan.
    This makes my heart hurt.
    I cannot EVEN imagine what you're going through.
    There are no words...
    I'm just so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you again today. Praying for you and Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely pray for you and for him. We are thinking about you and your wonderful family. I'm sure that he will NEVER forget you or the peaceful,loving feeling that he had on your home and being in your family.
    Love you!!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete