We had a girls day recently when Hank was at work, Reed was at basketball camp, and Little Guy was at a foster care play date. The girls looked through my cookbooks and found "Cooking with Kids." They had so much fun looking through it and picking out things they would like to try.
I taught them how to make No-Bake Cookies and they LOVED them. So today, while I was in the shower, they decided to try it all by themselves. I came down to these two cuties with a cookie sheet full of finger licking good No-Bakes. I was a little nervous about the fact that they had been using the gas stove without any supervision, but I realized they really did just fine and maybe I need to relax a little. Maybe not.
What do you think? How old do you think a child needs to be before they are allowed to use the kitchen stove by themselves?
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
While the boys are away...
Posted by SusieQ at 7:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Every post of yours reminds me of my own family. It's too funny! I'll have to post pics of my girls on their baking day... while I was napping!! We're living very parallel lives, I think.
ReplyDeleteYour girls are darling. And I LOVE no bake cookies!!! Like LOVE LOVE LOVE them. My roommate in college and I used to call them "poop cookies" and her mom would send us care packages ALL the time with poop cookies. Ah the memories...
Yeah I can relate. My mom taught the kids how to cook eggs. Now, they do it all the time. But, my rule, which helps my sanity, is an adult needs to be present. I'm not sure when I will feel differently. I just know I'm not there yet.
ReplyDeleteI ran into your brother, Scott, today! What a nice guy he is.
My 9 year old caught her hair on fire with our gas stove. (Not bad, but it was definitely singed.) I'm usually not a worse-case-scenario kind of a girl, but that made me a little nervous about letting them cook alone.
ReplyDeleteI myself get nervous with gas stoves, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I've definitely got Mom and Dad's worry genes!
ReplyDeleteBut so cute of the girls to make them! Could they be made in the microwave?
We are at 9 and almost 7 and they still aren't allowed to use our gas stove! We probably wouldn't be letting them use the electric stove without supervision either. Hubby is a nervous nellie. We marvel that we were vacuuming when were 5 and changing diapers at 6, etc and there's no way we would be trusting the girls to do those things.
ReplyDeleteCan you send some my way??
ReplyDelete