Friday, September 26, 2008

Be of Good Cheer

Two friends stopped by last night. One was holding a butter tub filled with steaming hot homemade hot fudge. The other had a message that spoke peace to my soul. Neither of these friends knew much about what we've been struggling with. I am not able to share many details here. But generally, we are in a legal battle with the state and the biological father over Little Guy. They are adament about reunification and we are adament that it is not in his best interest, given his extremely traumatic life threatening injuries and abuse at such a young age and the amount of time he has been with us and bonded and attached to our family. The biological father is basically a stranger to him.
After spending thousands of dollars in attorneys fees and incalculable stress, worry, and tears over the past year and a half, it appears that we are fighting a losing battle. A battle that we felt led to fight. It has begun to feel like we are simply smashing our heads against the wall to no avail. We are being falsely accused and maligned by attorneys and state workers. We (I) have begun to doubt and wonder if we should continue the fight. Is it worth it? Our life would be so much easier if we gave in. What will the outcome be? Can't we just have a little peek into the future to see how things will turn out?
And then my two friends came. They sat with me and cried with me. They shared a scripture with me that I have heard countless times, but hadn't thought of recently. "And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along." It spoke directly to my soul as if that scripture were written for me alone.
Thank you friends. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
(And that hot fudge is almost gone...)

9 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I don't know you very well or know much of what you're going through, but it doesn't keep me from caring and feeling a tiny little bit of your pain. I will keep you and Little Guy in my thoughts and prayers and hope for the best. I'm glad you have good friends to bring you chocolate and scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one Suzy Q to another ... I found you through Emily Anne's blog, and I was so excited to find another blogger in the PacNorWest with my same name! (Does your last name actually start with a Q, too?)

    I wanted to tell you that this last VT message stirred more souls than any other monthly message I've read in a long time. I'm so glad it gave you the spiritual boost that you needed, and know that we're keeping you in our prayers. I visit teach a sister who is a foster parent, and she has gone through this kind of battle many times before. It's never fun, and sometimes feels hopeless, but she tells me it is always worth it. Keep fighting for the rights of those who cannot fight for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you looked so put together the three times I saw you today! Love you...I'm thinking about you right now.

    I also love hot fudge ...and scriptures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it's me again! I got your comment, thanks for looking me up! I'm actually further south in the Medford area, but we come up to Eugene occasionally. I used to have an aunt that lived up there, but we love to come up for the SHOPPING! If you ever head south, look me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to send you some love and let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all and with your Little Guy. I unfortunately KNOW the battle you are in and I have to say... this Little Guy will thank you someday. No matter how it all turns out... he is going to thank you and Hank for all the love and nurturing and safety you gave to him when he was battling to just stay here on this earth. He is too little to fight and he has been placed in your life for a purpose ~ nothing is by accident. I pray that you all have the BEST outcome in the world but, no matter what --- it IS worth the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry that you all are going through such a hard time. You are very special people, and I know the Lord is mindful of you. I pray you will continue to feel comforted and led along--regardless of the outcome. God bless your special friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I am so sorry to hear that you are in the middle of some difficult times. Isn't it amazing how our prayers are often answered through the good works of others? I'm glad that you are being supported by good friends. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog to say hello. So cool that you've "met" my other friend Susie Q who I knew when I lived down in Medford. It's a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my heavens. Talk about the Lord using us to do His will! I'm so glad that they brought that message at such a crucial moment. I don't have to endure the trial you are enduring, but I encourage you to continue to fight (and share your hot fudge dagnabbit!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great friends you have. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete