I've been thinking about this article and the safety of the internet. There's some good discussion and some good comments. I don't want to be completely paranoid, but I also don't want to be stupid. It's hard to know where to draw the line. I think my strategy is to be more private with identity theft details:–no birth city–no birthdays–no last names- no birth names.
I gave my kids the chance to pick their own pseudo-names. My son picked Reed, after one of his favorite football players. Reed?? No offense against the name, I'm just having a hard time with that one. It doesn't seem to fit him...but he refused ALL of my suggestions. And I had a lot of them. He threatened (can you believe that?) to not allow me to use his image or quotations or life stories on my blog unless I used the name Reed. Ok, Ok. Reed it is. My oldest daughter chose JJ. Youngest daughter chose Montana, after Hannah Montana, of course. The little foster guy will be Little Guy. Husband will be Hank. I'll continue as Susie-Q.
I apologize if I deleted any of your comments. I went through those as well and had to delete quite a few because of the details shared. I wish I could have just edited them, but couldn't find any way to do that. I love love love your comments, so PLEASE keep them coming! Just remember not to use any of our identifying information. Thanks!
If you only knew how much time I've just spent going through all my posts and comments. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm not sure it's even worth it. But it's done now. Yay me.
If you have me listed on your sidebar, THANK YOU !! Could you please make my name Susie-Q or just use the name of my blog (Live...Laugh...Love) Thanks so much.
If you see anything I've missed, please let me know.


I changed all that info on my blog. I put Susie-Q & Hank on my family blog...does that sound ok? I've thought about this topic for awhile...haven't decided how I will handle it yet. But thanks for the reminder! :-)
ReplyDeleteI really haven't given much thought to the security of my blog. I didn't know what I was doing when I started and I know I need to make some changes. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteThanks for bringing this sort of internet safety up--it's important for all of us to remember that whatever information we post is out there and available for anyone who might happen across our website.
ReplyDeleteJust read your post... comes at a time when I, too, have been trying to eliminate alot of our personal information. I think our last name on the blog is the biggest thing I've purged thus far.
ReplyDeleteI started to add links to some of my favorite websites (library, Martin's work) but they both give away too much info (local city, last name).
It's sad we have to be so guarded, yet so necessary.