Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Hunt


WARNING: If you are an extreme animal rights activist, or if you happen to be President of the Nutria Society, I would advise you to stop reading right now. Bye-Bye. If you have a weak stomach and/or don't want to read about the grisly details of eliminating Nutria, you are excused now. Go. Before it gets ugly.

If you are still reading...Welcome. Hopefully you despise Nutria as much as we do. Or maybe you just want to read about our adventures with them. Nutria are useless rat-like nocturnal creatures that visit us each and every night and leave POO all over our lawn. The same lawn that our children like to run, frolic, and play on. And it's not your run-of-the-mill POO. It's the most DISGUSTING, SLIMY, STANKY, STINKY POO that has ever been produced by man or beast. I'm not saying I'm a POO expert, I'm just saying that in 41 (almost 42...gasp!) years I've never seen the likes of it.

Hank has had about enough of cleaning up after these horrid beasts (bless his soul.) He has decided to take matters into his own hands. He got a trap and baited it with carrots, the "people food" of choice for Nutria.

The first few nights, they were somehow able to get the carrots, leave us some juicy morsels of disgustingness, and not get stuck in the trap. That was it. Hank declared all out war. He got his comfy comforter and set up his post as night watchman by the window. The hunt was on.

( OK, I cheated. I took the pictures the next morning.)
So I'm fast asleep at about 4:00 a.m. and I wake up to the gut wrenching sound of "THUNK THUNK" You don't want any more details, I'm pretty sure. I lay there for a few minutes trying to get my bearings. Then it dawns on me what I just heard. Ohhhhh. Grosssss. Then I couldn't get back to sleep. After about a half hour I went downstairs to see what was going on. I found Hank at the computer reading about how to dispose of a dead Nutria. (He didn't find anything useful.) I finally fell back asleep at about 6:00 a.m. I dreamed of disturbing things. Really disturbing. I think I need a therapist.
Anyway, this is probably only the beginning. 2 down, 200 more to go. We can eat an elephant one nutria at a time. Or something like that. (shudder)
This is the lovely sight our children got to experience on their way to the bus stop this morning.
Don't look too close...it's sick. Am I'm pretty sick to be posting it here. I know. You can't say you weren't warned. I needed to share my pain. Hank is coming home at lunch time to bury them down by the pond. That's what the fish and wildlife people said to do.

11 comments:

  1. I heard some people in town eat them! I'm not in that camp! But maybe you should donate it to the local food bank. (Kidding of course...but people really do eat them.) Ew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SuzieQ, that was delightful! Brad wishes he could join Hank in the hunt! Remember when he hit himself in the head with a shovel trying to kill one of them? I understand your need to share. Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutria (imo) are evil evil creatures. Post away! I'll read more about your dead rodents, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even heard of them so boy did I get a lesson.

    All I can say is eewwwww and I'd say they deserve their fate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what the freak are those things? giant rats? I grew up there and have never even heard of a nutria. Boy, what did I miss out on all those years? Well, I guess i'm just not well versed in the rodent dicipline, and still don't plan to be...GROSS!!!! gross, gross, gross.
    p.s. But I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hank that is awesome....you should bring them down when you come visit. We'll throw them on the bbq, throw some sause on them and they will be good eat'n. They are a delicattesen here in the south. They rank up there with raccoons and possum.

    I am glad to see that I am not the only one to call you Hank now.

    who is Reed and Montana? You have new kids coming out of the woodworks (just like nutrias).

    We miss y'all...Keith

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, you win, those are worse than my mouse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of them before, but wouldn't know that I could identify them specifically. They look like just another kind of rat to me. And about as big a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I have never even heard of those things. But (from what I can see from the pictures... and I DID look closely) they look kinda like R.O.U.S.'s from The Princess Bride, and Wesley killed those by rolling them into a fire and then stabbing them with a large sword... in case your husband needs any ideas.

    Anyway, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, NOW I know what those horrid creatures are called. They are truly disgustingly awful. I would definitely set more traps and keep killing them off. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny!
    Hank deserves a Man of the Century award for doing that. Well, wait. I'm sure he got much pleasure out of slamming whatever into their heads, so he's been super rewarded already.
    I can't even tell you how severe my desire for killing them is when we go to the duck pond. Seriously. How can a normal person desire MURDER so much??? I mean, the only thing stopping any of our family from kicking them as hard as we possibly can is the fact that there's people around. If these things came into our YARD....man, we would make an entire family event out of who could kill the most in the least amount of time...
    :)

    ReplyDelete