My children LOVE to help in the kitchen. (with cooking, not cleaning) At dinnertime, they are often right there underfoot, begging for things to do to help get dinner ready. Until recently, however, I haven't actually made a point of TEACHING them to cook. I have simply given them small tasks to do or let them help with whatever I thought they were capable of. Thanks to the book, The Parenting Breakthrough, I have started to take a different approach.
My friend, Meg, turned me on to this author and I definitely recommend this book. I've read a LOT of parenting books, and this one is different. It's a specific plan for training your kids to be truly independent. She gives ideas of things they need to learn, and a timeline by when she thinks they should have each skill mastered. After reading the book, I realized that I haven't given my children enough credit. They are capable of doing much more than they do.
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Kitchen Help
Posted by SusieQ at 2:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Maybe I should read the book... sometimes I wonder if I put TOO MUCH responsibility on my girls. I work them HARD!
ReplyDeleteTeaching them to cook, though, is a big thing on my mind lately. Hard to do when I have no motivation to cook, though. Hmm... How to handle that one?? :)
I went to amazon and ordered the book. Of course, then I had to order $9 more of stuff so I could get the free shipping! duh. Oh well, I got some fun hot wheels for Ty and a wall map of the world for his room. Thanks for the recommendation! It had great reviews.
ReplyDeleteI hope to teach Ty to cook some day. I love cooking, and hope it can be something that we do together. He helps me in the kitchen now, I'm trying to help him see it's enjoyable. Plus, his wife will be so happy to have a husband that cooks!
I am so thankful to Brad's mom that she taught him how to clean. And clean really well. We're talking about no cutting corners. When he tackles a room, it is spotless, whereas I'm more of a crisis make it look okay cleaner.
I'm SO glad you liked the book. It is one of my most favorites from recent times!
ReplyDeleteTeaching the kids to cook is not my gift. Not yet. I am working on it though. Two in the kitchen like your girls seems reasonable. In my house, I can handle one at a time. I need to do a rotation or something.
Your son was cracking me up with that hot dog!
And in response to Sally, I just did the same thing at Amazon. You basically HAVE to buy the extra $9 or the shipping is just wasted money, right?!
If only I knew what book I need to read next that would be AS helpful...
Oh and just a side note. I was happy that you put a link to my blog, but just so you know it doesn't work...try pasting this one instead http://www.margaret-hansen.blogspot.com/ :-)
Sounds like a great book. The girls look so cute in those aprons. I'll have to check it out (pardon the pun) LOL
ReplyDelete