Sunday, February 24, 2008

There was a Court of Honor last night for the Boy Scouts in our area. Reed was going to be getting some merit badges and advancements. I thought it would be nice to get a picture of my two handsome Boy Scouts in their uniforms. Reed didn't think that was such a great idea. Here's Hank trying to manhandle him so I can snap a photo. It didn't work very well.

Here's Reed mocking me because I wasn't able to get his picture


See, Reed doesn't exactly....well, how can I say this? He doesn't prefer Scouting. I'm not sure why, exactly. Scouting is kind of a family tradition on both sides of our family. His dad is an Eagle Scout, as well as both of his Grandfathers. He has at least 6 uncles who have their Eagle, and probably more. And at least 6 of his cousins have their Eagle. So he comes by it naturally. Except he doesn't. It's been a constant battle ever since he turned 8 years old and started Cub Scouts. We wouldn't force the issue, but our church really encourages the young men to participate in Scouting. And Hank is the Scoutmaster. Our parenting approach has become something like this: "You don't have to like it, you just have to go and act like you do." So here are a few of his attempts at faking it...

Did he convince you??

At least somebody was excited to go. Montana.
She wanted to show off her zig-zag hairdo

10 comments:

  1. Your son is a crackup! And that photo of Montana is gorgeous. What a pretty girl.

    So... at Stake Conference last week, I see your husband and kids walk by our aisle and I think to myself, "They have NO idea who I am, but I know an awful lot about them!!" Thanks to the wonderful world of blogging. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH how funny! She was probably DYING inside. She hates that people read about her on my blog. HATES it, hates it!! I'm glad you said something, though, to her. That cracks me up. I'll have to ask her about it in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a funny boy you have...I like your approach!

    Montana is looking so much older. Her hair looks very pretty like that (good job mom!)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally convinced. I like your approach on that.

    Cute hair Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys crack me up. Please know that I will be calling for parenting tips when my boy gets to that age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute! Scouting stops dead in it's tracks on our side of the family. Don't tell him that none of the "Lake" boys got into scouting or he may try to use it as an excuse! There is actually a very funny story about this issue that involves my Mom in a ward council meeting that includes her swearing in front of the Bishop! Ask her about it at your next FHE gathering with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny, Kelli. We did talk about that exact story at our last FHE gathering. "Reed" heard all about it and it only reinforced his "I hate Scouting" mantra. I guess I didn't help much, either, with my "I don't like the Friends of Scouting Fundraising Drive" attitude. I'm thinking, hey, I just paid $42 for an ugly pair of green scouting pants that I don't think he's worn once. And now they are already too short. Doesn't that count for something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. SusieQ - I have GOT to agree with your attitude regarding Friends of Scouting!! I really really don't like it either. Sadly, my husband had to be the one in our ward last year to approach everyone about it. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it with scouting and the love it or hate it relationship? Reed cracks me up, seriously. Love the faking it.

    And the zig zag rocks. I'd want to show it off too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Reed, Go Reed, Go Really Really Reed! I'm convinced!

    Wow, and the hair? I bet that had to be a bit exciting to have her excited, knowing how much your girls usually like for you to do their hair!

    ReplyDelete