Tuesday, May 6, 2008

90 Days


Yesterday was Little Guy's permanency hearing. It was pretty discouraging. The attorney for his father put her spin on things and made the man out to be a victim whose child had been torn from his home through no choice or fault of his own. She presented him as a hard working, respectable father who is doing everything in his power to get his child back. If only that were true. Little Guy wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

I don't want to dwell on the negative, although that's what is coming naturally in this case right now. I want to remind myself of why we're doing this in the first place. And focus on doing all we can in the next 90 days to help Little Guy gain the skills and reserves to make it through the probable transition and beyond.

Of course, we're not counting out a miracle. We know with assurity that the Lord is in charge of this world and in particular, this situation. We know that He will bring about His purposes. We know that our ways are not His ways and that we can't possibly see the entire picture from our limited perspective. Unfortunately, that knowledge doesn't make it hurt any less.

This morning I picked him up and held him close. I told him we would love him forever, no matter what, even if he went back to live with his dad. He looked up at me with his big brown eyes and a big smile and said with certainty, "But you're gonna 'dopt me!"

Now, the word 'adopt' has most definitely been in our vocabulary and in our prayers over the past year. But no one has ever sat down and explained to him what that word meant. I really had no idea that he had the concept down. Evidently, I was wrong. Hopefully he's not.

7 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you guys. I've seen the difference you've made in his life since he came to live with you. And, I've seen the difference he's made in your life too! {Big Hug} Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pulls at the heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sister-girl... I'm keeping you all in my prayers. I KNOW exactly how you all feel. It has been a year since we had to let little Miss Onica move all the way to Oklahoma... with not one word since then. I read your entry and all the emotion came floodin' back. Hold him tight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has to be so hard for you. I will keep you and your sweet family in my prayers. I do hope that you can "dopt" him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post Susie. There is absolutely nothing else to say. I hope to have the same faith as you do when it comes to this childs future.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man...I can't believe it is coming down to this. You guys will definitely be in our every prayer and in our thoughts. I love you and I love "Chin Chin".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your comment! I've been searching blogspot for someone who is experiencing or has experienced the same things we are so thank you, thank you, thank you! When my husband and I were trying to get pregnant with our first child, we realized it wouldn't be an easy task. We started contemplating adoption. We decided that until we knew for sure whether or not we would adopt, we would try doing foster care. I'm getting the impression that you are currently fostering Little Guy with hopes to adopt him. I will be hoping and praying for you guys. If you'd ever like to share more of your infertility experience, I'd love to listen and learn!

    ReplyDelete